1947 Bio Note. 
Dr. MEYER, after serving three years' apprenticeship at the Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon, went to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (1899-1903) and received a diploma as electrical engineer, remaining there another year as Assistant Professor.
After a year with the Portuguese Navy and another year in England he was employed for two years by Justus Christian Braun, Germany, on electrically driven fire engines and machinery for breweries.
His next appointment was as Chief Engineer of the centrifugal pump and compressor department of Brown Boveri and Company, Ltd. He returned to this firm in 1910 after having been one year Chief Engineer of the blast furnace plant of von Rollsche Eisenwerke in Choindez. Up to 1915 he was Chief Engineer of the condenser department of Brown Boveri and Company, Ltd., until 1923 head of the turbine department, and in 1923 was appointed Managing Director and Engineer-in-Chief of the steam turbine works.
Dr. A. Meyer For several years Dr. Meyer was also a director of Richardsons Westgarth Company, Ltd., West Hartlepool. He resigned his managing directorship of Brown Boveri in 1946, but remained Consulting Engineer for the firm and a director.
In 1935 he received a doctor degree h.c. from the Stevens Institute of Technology; in 1939 and 1942 he was awarded the George Stephenson Research Prize of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers; and in 1941 received a doctor degree h.c. from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich.
Sources of Information
- 1947 IMechE Proceedings