Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Adelphi Iron Works, Salford"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[Image:JD_Farmer_Norton01.jpg|thumb|Looking south from the site of Sir James Farmer Norton's Adelphi Iron Woks. The old 'Brewery Tavern' was in Cleminson Street, behind the trees]]
 
The Adelphi Ironworks had various occupants, as listed below:
 
The Adelphi Ironworks had various occupants, as listed below:
  
Line 21: Line 22:
 
At some time the premises expanded to include property on the west side of Adelphi Street.  
 
At some time the premises expanded to include property on the west side of Adelphi Street.  
  
Latterly the expanded premises were used by [[Sir James Farmer Norton and Co]] to produce specialised machinery. The houses on Peru Street had gone, and buildings on the opposite side of Peru Street housed the Mechanical Engineering Dept of the University of Salford. At the corner of Adelphi Street and (Upper) Cleminson Street stood a pleasant little pub called the Brewery Tavern, popular with engineering workers, staff from the nearby Salford Royal Hospital, and students. The 1848 map shows the pub as the Adelphi Street Brewery. By 2010 all had been cleared to provide Salford with more derelct land.
+
Latterly the expanded premises were used by [[Sir James Farmer Norton and Co]] to produce specialised machinery. The houses on Peru Street were demolished, and buildings on the opposite side of Peru Street housed the Mechanical Engineering Dept of the University of Salford. At the corner of Adelphi Street and (Upper) Cleminson Street stood a pleasant little pub called the Brewery Tavern, popular with engineering workers, staff from the nearby Salford Royal Hospital, and students. The 1848 map shows the pub as the Adelphi Street Brewery. By 2010 all had been cleared to provide Salford with more derelct land.
  
  

Revision as of 18:37, 1 August 2020

Looking south from the site of Sir James Farmer Norton's Adelphi Iron Woks. The old 'Brewery Tavern' was in Cleminson Street, behind the trees

The Adelphi Ironworks had various occupants, as listed below:

1853 Partnership dissolved: Samuel Oddy, John Robinson, William Thompson, Edward Oldfield, Thomas Holmes, Thomas Thorley, and John Hewitt of Adelphi Iron Works, Salford, machine makers, as regards Hewitt, 27th June. Debts by remaining partners. [1]

1855 Sale of machinery, tools and effects for the trustees of Oddy, Robinson & Co. Includes machine tools by Joy, Lewis, and J. and J. Kershaw, portable weighing machines by Ogden and by Berresford.[2]

1873 Advert: 'Valuable Ironworks, Foundry Plant, and Premises, situate in the Adelphi, in Salford, .... ALL that PLOT ot LAND, situate and being in the Adelphi, In Salford aforesaid, and containing on the most northerly side thereof in an irregular line, including one half in width Into Canning-street 12yards wide, 99 yards 1 inch; on the most easterly end thereof, 12 yards 10 inches; on the most southerly side thereof, 98 yards 9 inches; and on the most westerly side thereof, including one half in width into the into the middle or central line of a passage or street 7 yards wide and about 12 yards long, 32 yards 25 inches: and in the whole 1,824 square yards of land, superficial measure, or thereabouts (be the same more or less), and bounded on part of the said most northerly side thereof by other land and buildings of the said J. Hall, ... And also the Machine-house. Counting-house, Stables and Shed, and other Buildings erected thereon or on some part thereof, together with the Steam Engine, Boiler, Shafting, Gearing,and Fixtures therein, late in the occupation of Messrs. Samuel Oddy and Sons, engineers and machine makers, and which said premises are known as the Adelphi Ironworks.....' [3]

Location

Adelphi Iron Works was bounded by Adelphi Street, Peru Street, John Dalton Street and Cleminson Street. The 1848 O.S. map shows the site to have been largely occupied by five filtering ponds used by the Adelphi Dye Works, Print Works, and Swimming Baths. There was a terrace of 12 houses between the ponds and Peru Street. These houses were still shown on the 1922 O.S. map. To the east of the ponds was an area of land used as a brick croft, and marked as the site of Bank Hall.

At some time the premises expanded to include property on the west side of Adelphi Street.

Latterly the expanded premises were used by Sir James Farmer Norton and Co to produce specialised machinery. The houses on Peru Street were demolished, and buildings on the opposite side of Peru Street housed the Mechanical Engineering Dept of the University of Salford. At the corner of Adelphi Street and (Upper) Cleminson Street stood a pleasant little pub called the Brewery Tavern, popular with engineering workers, staff from the nearby Salford Royal Hospital, and students. The 1848 map shows the pub as the Adelphi Street Brewery. By 2010 all had been cleared to provide Salford with more derelct land.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Perry's Bankrupt Gazette, 9 July 1853
  2. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Saturday 17 February 1855
  3. Manchester Evening News, 1 July 1873