Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,007 pages of information and 212,853 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 24 and 25 Upper Thames Street, London, EC
of Valleyfield Paper Mills, Penicuik, makers of paper
1708 A paper mill was established at Penicuik
1770 Charles Cowan bought the paper mill at Penicuik which he renamed Valleyfield
His son, Alexander Cowan (d. 1859), owned the paper mills at Penicuik, near Edinburgh
1859 His son, Charles Cowan, took over the business on the death of his father
c.1889 Charles brother, Sir John Cowan, took over the business. He set up a fund through which a proportion of the firm's profits were channelled into philanthropic works and built the Cowan Institute as an educational and leisure facility for the people of Penicuik.
1914 Paper manufacturers, export stationers, account book and envelope manufacturers.