Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Alexander Mackintosh"

From Graces Guide
(Created page with "Alexander Mackintosh (1820-1890) ---- '''1890 Obituary <ref> Institution of Civil Engineers Minutes of the Proceedings </ref> . . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late...")
 
Line 5: Line 5:


. . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late [[Henry Robertson]]
. . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late [[Henry Robertson]]
upon the surveys for the [[North Wales Minerals Railway]] from Saltney
upon the surveys for the [[North Wales Mineral Railway]] from Saltney
to Westminster Colliery at Ruabon, as well as several mineral
to Westminster Colliery at Ruabon, as well as several mineral
branches to Minera, the Wheatsheaf, &c. This line formed the
branches to Minera, the Wheatsheaf, &c. This line formed the

Revision as of 09:08, 26 May 2012

Alexander Mackintosh (1820-1890)


1890 Obituary [1]

. . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late Henry Robertson upon the surveys for the North Wales Mineral Railway from Saltney to Westminster Colliery at Ruabon, as well as several mineral branches to Minera, the Wheatsheaf, &c. This line formed the original portion of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway which was opened in 1846 from Chester to Ruabon, and afterwards extended to Shrewsbury. Mr. Mackintosh was also engaged upon the construction of the line, the principal works being the well known Dee viaduct over the vale of Llangollen, and the viaduct at Chirk. He was likewise engaged upon the Oswestry branch, and upon nearly all of the mineral lines which were made in the mining districts adjoining the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway.

After the opening of the latter, he acted as its Resident Engineer, during which period he resided at Gresford. On the absorption of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway by the Great Western Company in 1854, Mr. Mackintosh retained charge of the Chester lines, and also became Engineer of the joint stations of Shrewsbury and Chester under the Great Western Company . . . . [more]



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Institution of Civil Engineers Minutes of the Proceedings