Alexander Mackintosh (1820-1890)
1890 Obituary 
. . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late Henry Robertson upon the surveys for the North Wales Mineral Railway from Saltney to Westminster Colliery at Ruabon, as well as several mineral branches to Minera, the Wheatsheaf, &c. This line formed the original portion of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway which was opened in 1846 from Chester to Ruabon, and afterwards extended to Shrewsbury. Mr. Mackintosh was also engaged upon the construction of the line, the principal works being the well known Dee viaduct over the vale of Llangollen, and the viaduct at Chirk. He was likewise engaged upon the Oswestry branch, and upon nearly all of the mineral lines which were made in the mining districts adjoining the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway.
After the opening of the latter, he acted as its Resident Engineer, during which period he resided at Gresford. On the absorption of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway by the Great Western Company in 1854, Mr. Mackintosh retained charge of the Chester lines, and also became Engineer of the joint stations of Shrewsbury and Chester under the Great Western Company . . . . [more]
Sources of Information
- Institution of Civil Engineers Minutes of the Proceedings