Allen and Hanburys
Allenbury's of Bethnal Green, London, E2. Telephone: Bishopsgate 3201 (12 lines). Cables: "Allen Hanburys, London". (1947). An important part of their production was special dietary products for invalids and children, including Allenburys Malted Rusks.
1715 Silvanus Bevan established Plough Court Pharmacy off Lombard Street
By 1736 Silvanus was in partnership with his younger brother Timothy (1705-87).
c.1765 After Silvanus's death the firm became Timothy Bevan and Sons, Druggists and Chymists. They sold medicines, either from imported or home-grown materials, and some medical equipment. The shop was carried on by Timothy's youngest son Joseph Gurney Bevan (1753-1814).
1792 William Allen joined as a clerk.
1795 Allen was made partner. Bevan passed the company to Samuel Mildred (1759-1839) and William Allen, which was then renamed Mildred and Allen
1797 Mildred retired but Allen continued in a partnership with his fellow Quaker, Luke Howard (who took charge of their new laboratory in Plaistow). The company became known as Allen and Howard
1805 the laboratory was moved to Stratford
1806 Allen and Howard separated their business interests; the company was renamed William Allen and Co. Howard founded his own firm (see Howards and Sons).
1808 Daniel Hanbury joined the pharmacy (sponsored by his uncle, William Allen)
1824 Daniel Hanbury and Cornelius Hanbury were taken into partnership as was John Thomas Barry (1789-1864), originally a clerk with the firm which became Allen, Hanburys and Barry.
1841 William Allen died
1856 Thomas retired. The firm became Allen and Hanbury. The Hanbury family ran the firm for many generations.
1868 Daniel and Cornelius Hanbury (cousins) became the two active partners in Allen and Hanbury's (on retirement of Daniel's father).
1870s Company's main products were cod liver oil, malt products, pastilles, jujubes and milk food for infants.
1874 A new plant was established at Bethnal Green, London, with foods and surgical instruments an important part of the business.
1893 The company was registered on 13 December, to acquire the business of wholesale and retail chemists and manufacturers of the firm of the same name. 
1896/8 Bought the old mill at Ware to construct their Ware factory; their packaging showed views of the River Lea at Ware.
1923 The company started to manufacture insulin, and its annual turnover had reached £1 million.
1947 Listed Exhibitor British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of a complete range of Stainless Steel Surgical Instruments, Operation Tables, Hospital Sterilizers and Furniture. "Bonochord" Hearing Aids of the Deaf. Surgical Sutures. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A1032) 
1951 Lixen brand.
1958 Acquired by Glaxo but continued as Allen Hanburys until 1978.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- 1947 British Industries Fair p10
-  Business History of Speciality Retailers
-  Francis Frith Website
- Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988.