Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,099 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Pemberton Wood (1872-1952), managing director of Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Co
1952 Obituary 
We record with regret the death of Mr. Arthur Pemberton Wood, M.I.E.E., which occurred on Friday last, November 7th, at Whitefold, Elmsway, Hale Barns, Cheshire.
Mr. Wood, who was eighty, was formerly managing director of The Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Company, Ltd., which firm he founded in 1899, for the manufacture of electric motors. Initially production was confined to direct current motors made in temporary premises at Pendleton, near Manchester, while a works was being built at Trafford Park.
Shortly after the amalgamation Mr. Wood retired from active participation in the management of the business. He nevertheless retained, to the end, a keen interest in all the activities of the firm, with the successful development of which he was so closely concerned throughout the whole of his career.
Arthur Pemberton Wood died at his home in Altrincham, Cheshire, on the 7th November, 1952, at the age of 80. He was the founder and first Managing Director of the Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Co., the forerunner of Lancashire Dynamo and Crypto.
After completing his time as an apprentice with Mather and Platt, he remained with that firm for some years as outside engineer, and during this period took part in the construction of tramways in the Isle of Man and Sweden. In 1899 he realized that the development of industry in the Trafford Park area, coupled with the transition from steam to electrical power, would produce a great demand for electric motors, and in association with the late Sir Harry Kilvert and his brother Mr. Nicholas Kilvert, he formed the Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Co. Initial production was confined to d.c. motors which were manufactured in temporary premises at Pendleton, but with the opening of the present works at Trafford Park in 1900 the company's activities were considerably extended. Mr. Wood became Managing Director of the newly formed company in 1903 and held that position for some 30 years until his retirement shortly after the firm had become amalgamated with the Crypto Electrical Co. of Willesden. He always maintained an interest in the Company's affairs during his retirement, however, and was present at its jubilee celebrations in 1949.
He was elected an Associate Member of The Institution in 1899 and a Member in 1903. He served on the Committee of the Manchester Local Section 1906-09 and 1910-11. His paper on "Some New Flywheel Storage Systems" was published in the Journal in 1907.