The stout brackets originally supported the structure for the machinery/control cabin. Note the vertical drive shaft
Looking towards the swing bridge 'landing' on the south (Bedminster) side. See detail below
Showing original and 'permanent' supports for bridge when open for traffic
The riveted beam in the forgeground shows the habywork of the 'anglesmith' in hot forming the angle iron. Behind this is a later (new?) welded beam
Built as a double deck swing bridge across the river Avon for road and rail traffic.
Steelwork by John Lysaght. Opened on 3rd October 1906.
Post-war, the upper (road) deck was removed along with the machinery and control tower, and the bridge remained as a fixed rail bridge
Latterly used only by pedestrians, but now (2017) refurbished for use by special buses.
Sources of Information