Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,401 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Aughnacloy Flax Spinning Co"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with " 1866 These spinning mills are about two miles from Ballygawley, and an equal distance from Anghuacloy, in the county Tyrone. It is little more than a year ago since the com...")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
  
  
1866  These spinning mills are about two miles from Ballygawley, and an equal distance from Anghuacloy, in the county Tyrone. It is little more than a year ago since the company was started, on the limited liability principle, with a capital of £20,000, in £1 shares, the company reserving powers to increase the capital if deemed advisable. Highly to the credit and patriotic spirit of the gentry of the district the entire capital, at first proposed, was fully subscribed without making any appeals to the general public. The scheme was soon brought into vigorous action under the auspices of a Directory. Alex. George Montgomery Moore, Esq., owner of extensive estates in the neighbouihood, and on whose property the works are erected, was appointed chairman of the company, and with him were associated the Hon. W. S. Knox, M.P., Ranfurley Park, Dungannon; John Hunter, jun., Esq., Belfast; Mervyn Stewart, Esq.; Russel England, Esq., Lairg; R. Smith, Esq., flax-spinner, Mullen Hill; and R. Truell, Esq. The 1st and second floors of the mill contain 1,400 dry and 1,200 wet spindles for spinning and scutching tow, with the necessary preparations for each; also, well-perfected system of rope-making machinery, and scutching handles. On the third floor is the line preparing room, and the fourth floor is set apart for reeling, warping, &c. It is intended to add to the first and second floors 10,000 additional spindles for wet line spinning, and the works are prepared for the reception of from 400 to 500 power looms for weaving the yarns produced at the works. The motive power is obtained by two engines of ninety horse power each, and by a turbine wheel of ninety horse power. The boilers, engines, shafting, and gearing have been supplied by the [[Newry Foundry Co|Newry Foundry Company]]; the turbine wheel by Messrs. [[McAdam|M'Adam, Brothers, & Co]]., Belfast; the spinning frames and preparing machinery by Messrs. [[James Coombe and Co|James Coombe & Co]]., Belfast; the ropemaking machinery by Messrs. [[Lowry and Co|Lowry & Co]]., Salford, Manchester. All the machinery and appliances for the full equipment of the mill are of superior quality, and the establishment is amply supplied with gas, the works for the manufacture of which have been fitted up the well-known firm of Edmundson & Co., Dublin.'<ref>Northern Standard - Saturday 27 October 1866 </ref>  
+
1866  These spinning mills are about two miles from Ballygawley, and an equal distance from Anghuacloy, in the county Tyrone. It is little more than a year ago since the company was started, on the limited liability principle, with a capital of £20,000, in £1 shares, the company reserving powers to increase the capital if deemed advisable. Highly to the credit and patriotic spirit of the gentry of the district the entire capital, at first proposed, was fully subscribed without making any appeals to the general public. The scheme was soon brought into vigorous action under the auspices of a Directory. Alex. George Montgomery Moore, Esq., owner of extensive estates in the neighbouihood, and on whose property the works are erected, was appointed chairman of the company, and with him were associated the Hon. W. S. Knox, M.P., Ranfurley Park, Dungannon; John Hunter, jun., Esq., Belfast; Mervyn Stewart, Esq.; Russel England, Esq., Lairg; R. Smith, Esq., flax-spinner, Mullen Hill; and R. Truell, Esq. The 1st and second floors of the mill contain 1,400 dry and 1,200 wet spindles for spinning and scutching tow, with the necessary preparations for each; also, well-perfected system of rope-making machinery, and scutching handles. On the third floor is the line preparing room, and the fourth floor is set apart for reeling, warping, &c. It is intended to add to the first and second floors 10,000 additional spindles for wet line spinning, and the works are prepared for the reception of from 400 to 500 power looms for weaving the yarns produced at the works. The motive power is obtained by two engines of ninety horse power each, and by a turbine wheel of ninety horse power. The boilers, engines, shafting, and gearing have been supplied by the [[Newry Foundry Co|Newry Foundry Company]]; the turbine wheel by Messrs. [[MacAdam, Brothers and Co|M'Adam, Brothers, & Co]]., Belfast; the spinning frames and preparing machinery by Messrs. [[Combe Barbour|James Coombe & Co]]., Belfast; the ropemaking machinery by Messrs. [[Lowry and Co|Lowry & Co]]., Salford, Manchester. All the machinery and appliances for the full equipment of the mill are of superior quality, and the establishment is amply supplied with gas, the works for the manufacture of which have been fitted up the well-known firm of Edmundson & Co., Dublin.'<ref>Northern Standard - Saturday 27 October 1866 </ref>  
  
  

Revision as of 20:26, 21 May 2020


1866 These spinning mills are about two miles from Ballygawley, and an equal distance from Anghuacloy, in the county Tyrone. It is little more than a year ago since the company was started, on the limited liability principle, with a capital of £20,000, in £1 shares, the company reserving powers to increase the capital if deemed advisable. Highly to the credit and patriotic spirit of the gentry of the district the entire capital, at first proposed, was fully subscribed without making any appeals to the general public. The scheme was soon brought into vigorous action under the auspices of a Directory. Alex. George Montgomery Moore, Esq., owner of extensive estates in the neighbouihood, and on whose property the works are erected, was appointed chairman of the company, and with him were associated the Hon. W. S. Knox, M.P., Ranfurley Park, Dungannon; John Hunter, jun., Esq., Belfast; Mervyn Stewart, Esq.; Russel England, Esq., Lairg; R. Smith, Esq., flax-spinner, Mullen Hill; and R. Truell, Esq. The 1st and second floors of the mill contain 1,400 dry and 1,200 wet spindles for spinning and scutching tow, with the necessary preparations for each; also, well-perfected system of rope-making machinery, and scutching handles. On the third floor is the line preparing room, and the fourth floor is set apart for reeling, warping, &c. It is intended to add to the first and second floors 10,000 additional spindles for wet line spinning, and the works are prepared for the reception of from 400 to 500 power looms for weaving the yarns produced at the works. The motive power is obtained by two engines of ninety horse power each, and by a turbine wheel of ninety horse power. The boilers, engines, shafting, and gearing have been supplied by the Newry Foundry Company; the turbine wheel by Messrs. M'Adam, Brothers, & Co., Belfast; the spinning frames and preparing machinery by Messrs. James Coombe & Co., Belfast; the ropemaking machinery by Messrs. Lowry & Co., Salford, Manchester. All the machinery and appliances for the full equipment of the mill are of superior quality, and the establishment is amply supplied with gas, the works for the manufacture of which have been fitted up the well-known firm of Edmundson & Co., Dublin.'[1]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Northern Standard - Saturday 27 October 1866