Banbury and Cheltenham Railway
1873 The Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway Company was incorporated under the Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railway Act of 21st July 1873. Edward Wilson was consulting engineer.
1874 Alfred Terry was appointed chief agent for the line, which was about 34 miles in length. The works were of an exceptionally difficult character, comprising tunnels, viaducts, and bridges; while deep rock-cuttings, and embankments had to be constructed in traversing the Cotswold Hills between Cheltenham and Bourton-on-the-Water, and the Oxfordshire downs from Chipping Norton to Banbury. Upwards of two thousand men were employed on the line.
1876 The contractor withdrew from the contract but Mr. Terry continued to superintend the works on behalf of the company until June 1877. He then entered into a contract for the completion of the Banbury end of the line, which he carried on until November 1877, when the company decided to relinquish for a time that portion of the railway, and to first complete the Cheltenham section, as being the most important.
1897 the company was vested in the Great Western Railway Company.
Sources of Information
- National Archives 
- National Archives