Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,314 pages of information and 227,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Barrett, Exall and Andrewes

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 11:28, 25 January 2018 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
1859.
Horse mill at Waimate Museum, New Zealand
Horse mill at Waimate Museum, New Zealand
Horse mill at Waimate Museum, New Zealand
Engine at Devenish's Brewery, Weymouth
Plaque unearthed on site of the Coombeswood Tubeworks, Coombes road, Coombeswood, Halesowen, Birmingham.

Barrett, Exall & Andrewes, manufacturer of agricultural machinery and portable/fixed engines, of Katesgrove Iron Works, Reading

1818 Thomas and Joseph Perry established an iron foundry in Reading.

1820 Thomas went bankrupt, leaving Joseph on his own until 1825, when he took George Barrett as his partner. This new firm began to manufacture ploughs to meet a growing demand from the farmers of Berkshire for better, more scientifically designed ploughs.

1830 Joseph Perry died; Barrett brought in his nephew, George Allam Barrett and William Exall as partners. The firm became Barrett, Exall and Co

1838 Provided ironwork for Brunel's new London-Bristol Railway.

1841 the Reading firm won its first award from the Royal Agricultural Society of England for one of its ploughs.

1842 Charles Andrewes was brought into the partnership and the firm became Barrett, Exall and Andrewes.

1851 Exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition. Details of their products shown at

1851 Award - see details at

1858 George Barrett died; his memorial is made of cast iron.

1860 Produced internal combustion (gas) engines, designed in 1860 by Lenoir. They also carried out much work for Palmer's local biscuit company, including a steam-driven biscuit machine.

1862 Exhibited at the 1862 London Exhibition. Details of their products shown at

1864 the company changed to a limited company, the Reading Iron Works Ltd[1]

1877 Alfred Palmer, one-time High Sheriff of Berkshire, married the youngest daughter of William Exall, one of the iron foundry's partners.

Employed up to 360 people; occupied a 12 acre plot.

1888 Went into liquidation during the agricultural slump.


Stationary steam engine installed at Devenish Brewery, Weymouth. [2]. This has been preserved at the former brewery.

See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information

  1. [1]Village Pumps website
  2. 'Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain, Vol 7' by George Watkins, Landmark Publishing Ltd. See Plate 16