Barrows and Co
of Cherwell Works, Banbury, Oxon
1889 Listed under Iron Founders, Millwrights, Machinists and Engineers as 'Barrows and Co, Cherwell Works, Vulcan Works, Foundry Square, Neithrop, Banbury' 
1890 Listed under Iron Founders, Millwrights, Machinists and Engineers as 'Barrows and Co, Cherwell Works, Vulcan Works, Foundry Square, Neithrop, Banbury' 
1891 Incorporated as a private Limited Company.
1900 Steam engine stamped as Barrows and Co of Banbury seen at Dorset Steam Fair 2007.
1907 Listed as 'Barrows and Co Limited, Engineers, Cherwell Works, Lower Cherwell Street, Banbury' 
1914 Specialities: Portable Engines, Mortar Mills, Saw Benches, Street Sweepers, Water Vans, etc. Employees 100. 
The following was contributed by AM on the 29th December 2010;
Addendum to Barrows and Co. portable engine builders information.
- Barrows & various partners - Millwrights engineers and engine builders from Cherwell Works, Banbury Oxfordshire
- Started by Joseph Kirby 1787 (but this date is not right for Joseph Edward Kirby); engines offered from 1855; Barrows are reputed to have built engines for Fowlers of Leeds before he had a factory as did Ransomes and Kitson and Hewitson.
- Kirby and Barrows (none survive) - 1862-1863
- Barrows and Carmichael (1 survives) - 1864-1868
- Barrows and Stewart (1 survives) - 1868-1886
- Barrows and Co (6 survives) - 1891-1919
Sources of Information
- 1889 Rusher's Banbury List and Directory
- 1890 Rusher's Banbury List and Directory
- 1907 Kelly's Directory of Oxfordshire, 1907
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- Traction Engine Album by Malcolm Ranieri. Pub 2005