Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,092 pages of information and 231,598 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This house was built by a Mr Merrivale in 1797 near the site of an old farmhouse, of which the kitchen, the dairy and old courtyard are still to be seen.
1851 Residents listed were three servants. Presumably the owners were absent.
1889 Resident were the Misses Merevale
1910 Resident was Miss Merevale
The Merrivale family remained in Barton Place until 1911
1916 Bought by by Lord William Cecil, Bishop of Exeter.
1935 Resident was Right Reverend Lord William Gascoyne Cecil (Lord Bishop of Exeter)
From 1935 it was the home of Principal Murray.
1948 It was sold to the College and was used as a hall of residence for women until 1965. Since then it has been a residence for male postgraduate students.
Later became a nursing home.