Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1797 Built by John Merivale near the site of an old farmhouse, of which the kitchen, the dairy and old courtyard are still to be seen.
1805 John Merivale, Barton Place near Exeter.
1818 Barton Place near Cowley Bridge to be let. Now in the occupation of John Merivale. Contains on the ground floor an excellent dining room, parlour, breakfast room, kitchen and other suitable offices. On the first floor a drawing room, and three best bedrooms with large dressing rooms. On the second floor are two best bedrooms with large dressing rooms and servants apartments. Let with 25 to 50 acres.
1851 Residents listed were three servants. Presumably the owners were absent.
1871 Resident was Louisa H. Merivale (age 83 born Harrow on the Hill), Land and Fundholder. With her three daughters Louisa, Frances and Anna.
1889 Resident were the Misses Merevale
1910 Resident was Miss Merevale
1911 Resident was Anna Wilhelmina Merivale (c1829-1915)
1916 Bought by Rupert Ernest William Gascoyne-Cecil, Bishop of Exeter.
1935 Resident was Right Reverend Lord William Gascoyne Cecil (Lord Bishop of Exeter)
From 1935 it was the home of University College Principal John Murray.
1939 Barton Place, Exeter: John Murray (born 1879), Principal of University College. With Ellen.
1948 It was sold to the College and was used as a hall of residence for women until 1965. Since then it has been a residence for male postgraduate students.
Later became a nursing home.