Brigham and Cowan
of South Shields, County Durham
1881 Employing 50 mechanics and labourers.
1900 Incorporated as a public company. The company was registered on 22 December to acquire the business of dry dock owners, engine, boiler and ship repairers of the firm of the same name from R. F. Brigham, M. C. Brigham, W. Swinney, R. Cowan.
1908 Company made private.
1941 A bomb fell in a newly constructed power house at Brigham and Cowan's dock near Long Row. It demolished the building plus the generators and dynamos therein, much damage was also done to a partly completed structure at the end of a new dock.
1953 Reconverted to a public company.
1961 Dry dock owners and ship repairers. 
1982 Yard closed.
Sources of Information
- 1881 Census
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE