Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,937 pages of information and 233,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Portland House, Tothill Street, London, SW1
1911 A second attempt to unify the British cement industry. 33 companies were merged to form the British Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd (BPCM) including a substantial number of plants outside the London area were involved. Together the APCM and BPCM companies now controlled 80% of national capacity.
1928 New works was being constructed at Hope in Derbyshire which would be operated by G. and T. Earle of Hull. The company had more works than any other - on the North and South banks of the Thames and of the Medway, in Sussex, Surrey, Cambridgeshire and Middlesex, Bedfordshire, Northants, Yorkshire, Glamorgan as well as near Belfast
1929 The Johnson Works at Greenhithe were being expanded. The company had consolidated its interest in 29 cement companies with total of 41 works, bringing the total of works controlled by the company to 58
1937 Cement manufacturers