Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,969 pages of information and 233,612 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Leyland, Lancashire. Telephone: Leyland 81281. Telegraphic Address: "Britgoods, Leyland". Also at Thames House, Millbank, London, SW1. (1937)
1924 The British Tyre and Rubber Co Ltd originated as the British Goodrich Rubber Co, a subsidiary of the B. F. Goodrich Company of the USA. When formed as British Goodrich in 1924, it acquired: —
For these purposes the firm had arranged to purchase the Ajax Rubber Works of Wood-Milne Ltd in Leyland, Lancashire.
1934 The American company disposed of the greater part of its holding. The British Company then changed its name to British Tyre and Rubber Co Ltd and, though retaining a right to Goodrich's technical assistance, was not in American control nor subjected its overseas markets.
1934 British Tyre and Rubber had ten subsidiary companies in the United Kingdom, two of which were concerned with tyres - Palmer Tyre and Stepney Tyre and Rubber Co. Control of Palmer, as a selling subsidiary of India Rubber, Gutta Percha and Telegraph Works Co, was acquired in 1933 with the control of the latter company. Palmer tyres for motor vehicles, aircraft and cycles were then made by British Tyre and Rubber and marketed by Palmer. Stepney, also acquired in 1933, manufactured a number of rubber moulded products including remould tyres. In addition, British Tyre and Rubber had agreements from 1924 under which it manufactured tyres for other companies for sale in both the home and overseas markets.
1937 Tyre and rubber manufacturers. "B.T.R." Rubber Products.
1937 Listed Exhibitor. Bearings, Diaphragms, Hose, Rubber Belting, Rubber Goods (Mechanical), Rubber, Lined Valves, Rubber (Manufactured), Rubber Rollers, Rubber Tubing, Washers, Rubber to Metal Parts (Motor), Armourite Sheet. (Stand No. A.607)
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1954 British Tyre and Rubber produced tyres in all categories except agricultural. In 1954 it supplied to all except the original equipment and Government markets. It sold overseas through distributors, except in Denmark, where there was a selling subsidiary.
1956 The company changed its name to BTR Industries, when it ceased production of tyres.
By 1982 BTR had acquired a large number of companies in the United Kingdom, the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa and Germany.
1985 BTR acquired Dunlop Aviation Division from Dunlop Rubber Co to form BTR Aerospace Group.