Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,487 pages of information and 233,925 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
About the middle of the 17th century the East India Co constructed a small wet dock at Blackwall for fitting out their vessels after launching from the adjacent shipbuilding yards. This dock was the first on the Thames to be fitted with gates.
This dock was later incorporated in the Brunswick Dock
1789–90 John Perry (1743-1810) excavated the Brunswick (or Perry’s) Dock. He built its flanking 120-foot mast house – a major Thames landmark until its demolition in 1862.
1806 The Brunswick Dock was bought by the East India Dock Co., which had been formed for the purpose, and became the East India Export Dock.