Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,904 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The four sons of William Hedley continued Burnhope's colliery developments after his death. At first the mine was called Ibbotson's Sike Pit after a nearby stream but was renamed the Fortune Pit.
The Hedleys built Burnhope village north of the colliery and the first school, now demolished, was opened in 1855.
Annie Pit and Fell Pit opened at the colliery in 1868 along with a short-lived pit at Jaw Blades, but other mines followed at Burnhope Colliery in subsequent decades including several neighbouring drifts.
At some stage the colliery passed to new owners and then changed hands again but dates are uncertain.
In 1881 the mine was sold to Utrick Ritson.