Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1860 Company founded by Walter Carter, Carrier, John Paterson, Gentleman, James Paterson, Carrier, and Robert Paterson, Gentleman, as carriers' agents.
1868 of George Yard, Aldermanbury, London. Court case over savage dog. 
1869 Partnership formed on 1st January under name of Carter Paterson & Co.
1875 John Paterson retired from partnership.
1887 Formed into a joint stock company with limited liability.
1897 Acquired their first motor vehicle from Daimler - a 5.5 hp twin-cylinder van.
1909 Company became private company as from 18th August.
1933, In October, the Big Four railway companies purchased control of the company in equal shares. Its head office was at 128 Goswell Road, London EC1. 
1934 February. Converted into a public company
Company remained as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hay's Wharf Cartage Company Ltd., shares of which were owned by four main line railway companies, until, under the Transport Act 1947, it became vested in British Transport Commission on nationalisation; subsequently absorbed into British Road Services.