Central Wagon Co
1911 Business established
1911 Incorporated as a Private Limited Co.
1920s: Was a subsidiary of Hall, Lewis and Co
1931 After the parent company was put into liquidation, it was proposed to re-arrange the Central Wagon Co, as the main wagon company, and convert it into a public company
1947 Private company formed.
1952 Name changed.
1953 Company made public.
1961 General engineers, manufacturing railway rolling stock, building, repairing and equipment, steel forgings, steel fabrications, ferrous and non-ferrous castings, iron and steel merchants and demolition contractors. 800 employees. 
1969 Subsidiary R. G. Brown and Co acquired steel stockholders William Elwell and Sons of Tipton from Cope Allman and Co. Brown was owned jointly with Derby and Co; had also acquired M. F. W. (Valves).
1970 Interests in:
- Steel stockholding - R. G. Brown and Co
- Gas heating - Heatstore and Central Gas Appliances
- Transportation equipment - Central Containers and Pitt Trailers
- Hydraulics and jacks - Tangyes and Epco
Sources of Information
- The Times, Mar 23, 1931
- 1961 Dun and Bradstreet KBE
- The Times, Dec 12, 1969
- The Times, May 19, 1970