Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,095 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Charles Slater Stead

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 17:53, 3 September 2015 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Charles Slater Stead (1878-1951)


1951 Obituary [1]

"CHARLES SLATER STEAD, who was born in 1878, obtained his practical training in engineering with the Yorkshire Machine Tool and Engineering Company, Ltd., Liversedge, Yorks, from 1894 to 1899, and for nine years attended classes at technical schools in that town and Leeds.

After acting as junior draughtsman to Messrs. Kitson and Son, Ltd., Leeds, locomotive builders, from 1899 to 1904, and for a brief period in a similar capacity for Messrs. Dick, Kerr and Company, Ltd., Preston, electrical engineers, he became chief draughtsman and designer to Messrs. Mountain and Gibson, Ltd., Bury, electric railway rolling stock engineers, the title of his appointment being subsequently changed to that of designing engineer. He remained with that firm until 1915 and after a period spent in training personnel became superintendent of works equipment to the National Projectile Factory at Nottingham.

On the conversion of the factory to the manufacture of ordnance he was responsible in the same capacity for the arrangement, installation, and maintenance of the new plant. In 1920 he took up the appointment of works manager to the Railway and General Engineering Company, Ltd., Midland Works, Nottingham, in addition acting as personal assistant to the managing director in the commercial and technical departments, and in 1941 he was appointed general manager. Mr. Stead retired in 1948 and his death occurred on 21st February 1951.

He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1914 and transferred to Membership in 1928."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information