Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,004 pages of information and 225,313 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
G. J. Barker, Ironmaster
The Chillington Ironworks were established by three ironmasters, James Foster of Stourbridge, George Jones, and John Barker of Wolverhampton who entered into partnership in 1822 to lease land from Mr Giffard of Chillington Park in order to mine the underlying coal and ironstone. The plant for the works was designed and supplied by John Rastrick.
By 1829 the Chillington Iron Works had been established upon the site of the former Chillington Moat (SMR2531). Management of the concern was undertaken by John Barker. Four blast furnaces as well as forges and mills were established upon the site
1852 John Barker died; his 2 sons, George and Thomas, inherited his share of the business and eventually purchased the interests of the other partners. They extended the works, leasing 200 acres of land at Bentley, Darlaston where they opened mines and set-up several blast furnaces. They also purchased the Capponfield Iron Works at Bilston, and Lea Brook Iron Works at Wednesbury.
1867 Chillington Iron Co. had 6 furnaces, of which 4 were in blast; good grey forge (collectively with others) 95 puddling furnaces and 6 mills and forges..
1872 the brothers transferred their properties to a joint stock company and ran it as managing directors.
1872 The Chillington Iron Co of Bentley, Walsall was registered.