Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,398 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Manchester. Factory initially in Salford, then moved to Pendleton, and finally to Broadheath.
1865 Charles Churchill and Co began trading as importers of engineering tools, primarily from the USA
By June 1906 there were nearly 200 machine tools under construction at the factory and in 1907 around £5,000 was spent on enlarging the premises
1911 Listed as Churchill Machine Tool Co Ltd "engineers and manufacturers of machine and small tools" at 107 Frederick Road, Pendleton 
1918 The Churchill Machine Tool Co Ltd bought 11.5 acres of land at Broadheath, near Altrincham, from the Earl of Stamford and by 1920 the company had relocated all its production to that site,
1923 Company was in poor state; the board was changed with Arthur Chamberlain becoming chairman; much stricter financial management introduced; seems to have become a public company at this time
By 1937, the ordinary shares had not paid a dividend for 15 years. After the resumption of dividends, the shares were quoted on the Stock Exchange.
1937 Manufacturers of precision grinding machines. "Hydrauto" Automatic Wheelhead Spindle Bearing Adjustment. "Sizex" Grinding Gauge.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1961 Machine tool makers, specialising in the manufacture of precision grinding machines. 1,200 employees. 
1961 The company was bought by BSA at a cost of £8.5 million and became known in legal terms, as BSA-Churchill Machine Tools Ltd
1966 Churchill merged in a joint-venture agreement with Alfred Herbert and became part of Herbert-BSA Ltd
1967 BSA-Churchill Machine Tools reverted to use of Churchill Machine Tool Co name
1968 Internal grinding machine. Of Broadheath, Altrincham. 
1972 the Churchill factory in Broadheath was closed.
1973 The Churchill Machine Tool Co Ltd was put into members' voluntary liquidation on 25 October 1973 with several other companies in the Herbert group, including Burton, Griffiths and Co, Servomatic Hydraulics (Guildford), BSA Tools, BSA Branch Co, BSA Electrochemical Machines, I. L. Berridge and Co, B.G. Machinery
1974 Churchill Machine Tools (Coventry) Ltd (company registration 00087969) was liquidated
Lathe. Exhibit at Bradford Industrial Museum