Claud Monckton (1844-1897)
1898 Obituary 
CLAUD MONCKTON, born at Spratton, Northamptonshire, on the 26th July, 1844, was the second son of the late Mr. E. H. C. Monckton, of Fineshade Abbey in that county. After serving articles to Major Lamorock Flower, now Engineer to the River Lea Conservancy, he was appointed, in 1863, an Assistant Engineer to the Madras Irrigation and Canal Company. Two years later, however, he was compelled, by an attack of cholera, to resign that post and return to England. Having regained health he went out to Bombay in 1867, and for seven years was engaged as Engineer to the Thakoor of Bhownuggur.
During that period he constructed many miles of roads, bridges, public buildings, waterworks, canals, lighthouses and harbours. On the occasion of an outbreak among the prisoners in the State gaol, during which the guards were overpowered, Mr. Monckton - the only European there-suppressed the revolt at the risk of his lifoe. The climate, however, proved too trying, and fever and ague drove him home again.
From 1874 Mr. Monckton lived and worked in and near London. Amongst other things he carried out some interesting experiments in boring for water in the neighbourhood of Harefield and Uxbridge, . . . [more]