Conwy/Conway suspension bridge
1822 In the course of improving the roads from [Holyhead Road|Chester and Shrewsbury to Holyhead]], Thomas Telford built his two famous suspension bridges over the Conwy River and the Menai Strait in Wales. William Hazledine supplied the wrought and cast iron.
1826 The bridge was completed
1904 Mr. J. Webster CE, was employed to survey the structure and found grave cause for anxiety; the main suspension chains were very badly corroded; the suspension rods were also in a bad condition. All the suspension rods and pins were replaced, and steel cables fixed above the suspension links. It was also decided to build a stiffening girder coupled to the suspension rods on each side of the bridge, and at the same time to widen the bridge by building a footway 6ft. wide outside the suspenders on the north side of the bridge.
1958 A New Conway Bridge was opened to replace the function of Telford bridge's in carrying the A55 across the river.
See also Conwy Railway Bridge.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1904/05/20