Cory Brothers and Co
Coal shipping merchants and colliery proprietors, of Cardiff
Early 19th century: Richard Cory (1799-1882) of Devon was the owner of a small vessel which traded between Cardiff, Bristol and Ireland.
1838 Cory opened a ship's chandlers in Cardiff.
1844 Cory was joined by his sons, John (1828-1910) and Richard (1830-1914), and traded as Richard Cory and Sons, as ship brokers, ship owners, coal merchants and exporters.
1859 Richard Cory senior retired. John and Richard re-named the business Cory Brothers and Co.
1868 The Corys became coal owners in their own right with the purchase of Pentre colliery in the Rhondda Valley.
1888 The company was registered on 9 April, as a limited liability company, to take over the business of colliery proprietors of the firm of the same name
Later acquired the Gelli, Tynybedw and Tydraw collieries, as well as several collieries in adjoining valleys.
Became the largest private wagon-owners in UK.
Opened coaling stations around the world
By 1908 had 118 agencies and depots on all the major shipping routes. They supplied coal on a worldwide basis, most of it coming from their collieries in the Rhondda.
Subsidiary companies included Aden Coal Co. Ltd and Gueret, Llewellyn and Merrett Ltd.
1921 Closed Glyncastle Colliery Resolven, Vale of Neath.
Acquired the Kynochtown factory site and railway to build an oil storage depot, which was renamed Coryton.
1944 The name of the company was changed to Powell Duffryn Ltd.
1950 Vacuum Oil Co acquired the oil storage, blending packing business at Coryton of Cory Brothers and Co in exchange for shares in Vacuum Oil Co which would be held by Cory's parent Powell Duffryn; together with further investments, this would give Powell Duffryn and Socony-Vacuum Oil Co Inc of USA equal ownership of the Vacuum Co. An oil refinery would be built at Coryton, primarily for the production of lubricating oils.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Report on Revolutionary Organisations in the United Kingdom, Home Office, 1921
- National Archives 
- The Times, Mar 25, 1950
- National Archives