Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,267 pages of information and 234,239 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Crow, Harvey and Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:09, 21 September 2019 by JohnD (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Plate edge shearing machine, ex-Sheepford Boiler Works, Coatdyke, on display at the Summerlee Museum of Industrial Life.
Detail. Exhibit at the Summerlee Museum of Industrial Life.

Crow, Harvey and Co of Park Grove Ironworks, Kinning Park, Glasgow

This was the same address as that of Robert Harvey and Co, suggesting this was an associated company. William Murray Harvey was a partner in both companies.

1894 'POWERFUL MACHINE Tool.— Messrs Crow, Harvey & Co., of Parkgrove Iron Works, Kinning Park, have just completed what is probably the most powerful tool ever constructed in Scotland. It is a machine for cutting boiler and ship deck plates, and is capable of shearing cold steel up to 2 inches in thickness and 6 feet 6 inches in width. The steelings are 11 feet 8 inches in length, and the total weight of the whole machine is 113 tons. It is driven by two 20-inch cylinder engines with a stroke of 24 inches, and is geared up by steel gearing. The tool is for the new works of the Glasgow Iron & Steel Company (Limited) at Wishaw, for which Messrs Crow, Harvey & Co. are also constructing a set of heavy rolling-mill engines.'

1906 Dissolution of the Copartnership of CROW, HARVEY, & COMPANY, Engineers, Sussex Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow, of which the Subscribers, John Crow, William M. Harvey and A. Paton Costigane were the sole Partners. The Subscribers William Murray Harvey and Alfred Paton Costigane continued the Business under the said firm name of CROW, HARVEY, & COMPANY[1]

1911 The company was put into liquidation[2]

1927 Described by Aberconway as "makers of engineering and shipbuilding machine tools."

1937 Company removed from the register of companies[3]

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. The Edinburgh Gazette 7 August 1906
  2. The Edinburgh Gazette 10 March 1911
  3. The Edinburgh Gazette 2 March 1937
  • The Engineer of 2nd March 1894 p184