Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 149,919 pages of information and 235,419 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

D. and C. Stevenson

From Graces Guide
Revision as of 19:17, 14 June 2016 by PaulF (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Civil engineers, of Edinburgh

1890 The firm of D. and T. Stevenson became D. and C. Stevenson under David A. Stevenson and Charles A. Stevenson

Design and execution of harbour and lighthouse works

1914 (David) Alan Stevenson became an assistant in the firm.

1919 Alan was taken into partnership.

By the 1920s the period of great development of harbours, lighthouses, and navigational river deepenings in Britain had passed, and the nation was in the throes of economic recession. Nevertheless, the firm still kept busy in a smaller way on works such as further deepening the lower Clyde, sewerage and water supply projects, and, more particularly, on the maintenance of lighthouse stations and modernization of equipment.

1936 The firm was reformed as A. and C. Stevenson, at 90A George Street, Edinburgh. The new firm's workload was much reduced, relying principally on the family's commission as joint engineers to the Clyde Lighthouses Trust.

1940 Charles Stevenson retired, after which Alan Stevenson continued to act solely as the Trust's engineer.

1952 Alan retired - this marked the end of nearly a century and a half of continuous service by Stevenson engineers to the Trust.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Biography of David Alan Stevenson, ODNB