David Edward Parkinson
David Edward Parkinson (c1896-1943)
1945 Obituary 
DAVID EDWARD PARKINSON after completing his general education in 1911, joined the shore establishment of the Orient Steam Navigation Company at Tilbury, and was employed as a marine engineer until 1915. During that period he also attended the Gravesend Technical School. He then enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps and served in France for four years, first as machine gunner and then at the base, where he was placed in charge of the erection of the power house and subsequently of the experimental test bench for aero-engines.
On demobilization, he was employed by Messrs. Green, Tilley Weir and Company on ship repairs, and two years later he was appointed chief engineer to Messrs. William Whitaker and Company, Ltd., of Bradford. In 1926 he accepted an appointment in a similar capacity with Messrs. Tennant Brothers, Ltd., brewers, of Sheffield, and began a connection which lasted for seventeen years up to the time of his death, which occurred on 12th December 1943, at the age of forty-seven.
Mr. Parkinson was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1941.