Dayton Cycle Co
See also Charles Day Manufacturing Co
Dayton were motorcycles produced from 1913 to 1922 by Chas. Day of the Dayton Cycle Co. of Shoreditch, London; 1939 and 1955 to 1960 in North Acton, London.
1913 A lightweight was produced with a 1.5hp, 162cc two-stroke engine fitted with an Amac carburettor. It had a chain-driven magneto, petroil lubrication, transmission by a chain-driven two-speed gearbox and either Druid or Saxon forks. There was also a single speed model.
1915 The range continued and a ladies’ model was offered. War brought production to a close.
1920 The marque reappeared with a simple lightweight fitted with a 269cc Villiers engine. It had a cylindrical, tapered fuel-tank hung from the top tube. There was also mention of a motorised bath-chair with a 161cc two-stroke engine steered by tiller control, that had first been seen the previous year.
1921 The firm showed the lightweight at Olympia, plus a three-wheeled, single-seat machine with a 4hp Blackburne engine, three speeds and wheel steering.
1939 Having been already established in the production of bicycles, the firm, now based in North Acton, London, returned to motorcycles. They produced an autocycle powered by a 98cc Villiers engine. Typical of its tpe, it was only listed for that year, which saw the start of World War II.
Post War. The company returned to making bicycles for several years.
1955 onwards. The company entered the scooter market and introduced a model named Albatross. Powered by a 224cc Villiers 1H engine, it did not sell particularly well in comparison with the popular Italian machines. This was mainly due to its size, weight, name and design. Other versions were added, fitted with variously-sized Villiers engines. The final model was the Flamenco.
1960 Production ceased after that year.
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
-  All Motorcycles Ever Made - Worldwide