Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,279 pages of information and 218,973 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Devon Iron Works, or Devon Ironworks, was situated on the River Devon near Fishcross, NNE of Alloa, and NNW of Clackmannan.
1792 Works started by Messrs Roebuck and Longridge; the furnaces were cut in the solid rock, and had a lining of fire-brick; the works also had the largest air vault ever used at an ironwork for blast, also excavated out of the solid rock
The Devon Iron Company's business also included coal mining and distribution. In 1794 John Roebuck sold his share to Mr Casamayor and others. It seems that in 1800 Charles Addison and Edward Addison sold the business to Thomas Longridge. Lord Cathcart was the landowner.
1825 'At Calder iron-works there are four blast furnaces; in Wilsontown, two; in Carron, five; Clyde, two; Shotts, one; Clelland, two; Muirkirk, three; Devon, two. These furnaces make, on an average, thirty-five tons of iron week each, when working.'
1829 Built the Chinese Bridge, Taymouth Castle
1839 In the early days following the discovery of ironstone in Cleveland, Mr. D. Nesham , of Nesham and Co., of the Portrack Lane Iron-works, at Stockton-on-Tees, was made aware by Mr H. Vansittart (of Kirkleatham Hall) to some ironstone near Coatham, and after examination, he shipped a small cargo to the Devon iron-works for trial. In reponse he received a letter advising him that it was not worth trying, there being no iron in it. He replied thereto, leaving himself in the manager's hands (Leslie Meldrum). ' And so, on Mr. Nesham having occasion to be in that district about 1850, he, on enquiry, found his cargo deposited in the ballast heap; of course, it had never been tried.' 
c.1857 The works closed
A waggonway ran from the Devon Ironworks to Clackmannan Harbour, and another waggonway ran from the Devon Colliery to Alloa Harbour. Each of these two networks had extensive branches leading to pits at Coalsnaughton, Gartmorn, Gubber Hill, Whinhill and Grassmainston and had numerous connections to the main line railway system.