Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1820 The opening of the colliery saw the beginning of coal mining in the area around Orgreave.
John Jeffcock was associated with William Jeffcock and members of the Sorby family in opening a colliery at Dore House in the parish of Hansworth, to work the Barnsley seam. Mr. Dunn was appointed manager, and John Jeffcock became colliery engineer.
1848 Dissolution of the Partnership between Walter Sorby and Richard Sorby, carrying on business as Coal Masters, at Orgreave, in the parish of Rotherham, in the county of York, under the firm of the Dore House Coal Company. Richard Sorby continued the business on his own