Dundyvan Iron Works
Dundyvan Iron Works of Monklands (1833 - 1868)
c.1831-32 John Wilson, in conjunction with Colin Dunlop began the erection of the Dundyvan furnaces, and rolling-mills, in connexion with a large mineral tract, rented from Mr. Hozier, of Newlands, and Mr. Buchanan, of Drumpeller. Here the famous black-band iron ore and excellent fuel, with the use of hot-blast, combined to produce pig iron of great fusibility, in such quantities and at a price hitherto considered impossible in Staffordshire and in Wales.
1835-6 Only four blast-furnaces were originally built but, on the retirement of Messrs. Dunlop from the concern, Mr. Wilson commenced the extension of the works to 9 furnaces and a large rolling-mill, in which a capital of about £300,000 were invested. More than four hundred workmen were employed there.
1868 Works closed.