Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,092 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edgar Llewellyn Ingram (1867-1950)
Edgar Llewellyn Ingram, who died at Parkstone, Dorset, on the 13th June, 1950, was born at Caldicott, Mon., in 1867. Having studied electrical engineering under Mr. W. M. Mordey at the Brush Electrical Engineering Company's works at Loughborough, he went to Bournemouth in 1894 as Station Superintendent of the Bourne Valley generating station, where the plant comprised one 50-kW and two 18-kW alternators. Two years later he was appointed Resident Engineer to the Scottish House to House Electricity Supply Co., at Coatbridge, and in 1897 he went to Madrid as Station Superintendent to the Electricity Supply Co. for Spain. Returning to England the following year, he was appointed Chief Engineer to the Bournemouth and Poole Electricity Supply Co., and he held that position for 36 years, until his retirement in 1934. He also acted as a consultant to several South Coast supply and traction and industrial concerns.
In his early days he served in the Manchester Rifle Volunteers, during the First World War he was in the local volunteers, and in 1932 he was instrumental in the formation of a Territorial Army searchlight unit consisting largely of employees of the Bournemouth undertaking.
He joined The Institution as an Associate in 1898 and was elected an Associate Member in 1899 and a Member in 1903. He was elected a member of the Committee of the Hampshire Sub-Centre on its formation in 1929, and served as Chairman of the Sub-Centre in 1932-33.