Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,390 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Bicknell (1849-1898)
Locomotive Superintendent, La Guaira and Caracas Railway, Venezuela ; and 8 Canynge Square, Clifton, Bristol.
1898 Obituary 
EDWARD BICKNELL was born in 1849 in India.
After being educated at the Taunton Grammar School, he served a three years' apprenticeship in the locomotive shops of the London and North Western Railway at Crewe, and was engaged as draughtsman in the office of an engineer at Taunton.
In 1870 he went out to India as an assistant engineer on the Eastern Bengal Railway, where he had charge of the locomotive shops for two years.
He was then engaged by the government in the Public Works Department as a mechanical engineer for the purpose of inspecting and reporting upon engines, boilers, and machinery; and was for some years employed in irrigation work on the Soane Canal.
In 1875 he was sent on famine duty to the Bellary district. After holding his appointment for eight years, on the reduction of the Public Works staff he accepted the bonus offered and retired from the service, returning to England.
In 1877 he went to Venezuela as locomotive superintendent, and took charge of the railway, and put the engines and rolling stock in proper working order, returning to England in 1879.
In 1882 he went to India again, as contractor's agent and engineer on the Darjeeling, Himalayan, and Diamond Harbour railways for three years; and then took a contract for the construction of part of the Nagpur Bengal Railway, in partnership with Mr. Rumsey.
On the completion of this railway he obtained another contract in Assam; but before the work was commenced his health broke down, and he returned to England in 1895.
His death took place at Bath on 17th May 1898, in the forty-ninth year of his age.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1883.