Edward John Wade
Edward John Wade (c1866-1947)
EDWARD JOHN WADE, who died on the 9th January, 1947, at the age of 81, received his engineering education at University College, London, and his practical training with N. Volk of Brighton.
In 1889 he went to Immisch and Co. as Engineer and Manager of the Electric Launch Dept.; in 1893 he was appointed Manager of the Elieson Lamina Accumulator Co.; and in 1894, Assistant to the Managing Director of the Chloride Electrical Storage Syndicate.
From 1897 to 1902 he was technical adviser to the Electric Motive Power Co., and in the latter year he went into private practice as a consultant. His important paper on "Storage Battery Problems" was published in the Journal in 1900.
Throughout his long life he continuously devoted himself to research and experimental work, which was by no means confined to engineering; his studies of insects were pursued with the same diligence and thoroughness. His hobbies were motoring, of which he was a pioneer in this country, and walking. In his early years he had traversed the greater part of England and Wales on foot, and this made him a fascinating motoring companion, because all the highways and byways were an open book to him and he never took a main road when a by-road would serve. He was a robust character of strong and independent views, who found it difficult to tolerate those who were vacillating or required spoon-feeding, but once his friendship was extended to anyone it was proof against anything. He took great pleasure in helping all who were in need, and, like all generous people, gave his help quietly and unostentatiously. Above all he loved children and young people. He lost both his children in infancy and his wife with the birth of their second child.
His legacy to the Benevolent Fund of The Institution, which it is estimated will produce £6,000 net, is solid proof of his generosity, kindness and thoughtfulness, and is a practical memorial of the man himself.
He joined The Institution as a Student in 1886 and was elected an Associate in 1887, an Associate Member in 1900 and a Member in 1904.