Edwin Addenbrooke (1845-1887)
1887 Obituary 
EDWIN ADDENBROOKE was born on the 12th of March, 1845.
In 1861 he was articled for three years to Mr. H. P. Stephenson, M.Inst.C.E., and on the expiry of his pupilage he remained as an assistant to Mr. Stephenson until July, 1868, when he was appointed by Mr. Frank Morris, M.Inst.C.E., Clerk of the Works to the new station of the Brentford gas-works, then in course of erection at Southall. This important station was completed in November 1869, at a cost of about £55,000, and Mr. Addenbrooke, in fulfilling his duties displayed a great amount of patient industry, and in many ways proved that he had the interest of the Company entirely at heart. The Directors being greatly pleased with his conduct, made him manager of the station in January 1870, and he held the office for about two years.
In 1871 he was appointed gas-examiner to the Metropolitan Board of Works for the Commercial Gas Company's district, his head-quarters being the testing station at Parnell Road, Bow, and he continued to hold that office until his death, on the 6th of March, 1887. He is stated to have been just the type of man for such a post, being high-minded and extremely just, and his decisions in matters of testing were never disputed.
Mr. Addenbrooke was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 7th of May, 1878.