Electric Construction Corporation
Offices (1889) Old Broad-Street, London. of Worcester House, Walbrook (1890). of West Ferry Road, London (1891).
1889 Company established to amalgamate various companies concerned with manufacture of electrical equipment for transport:
- Electric Power Storage Co
- Railway Electrical Contractors
- rights to the Julien Patents for Electric Traction
- rights to the Sprague Patents for Electric Traction and Transmission of Power
1890 Works completed at Bushbury on a 23 acre site, purposely built for electrical engineering construction. These included a separate iron foundry and its own railway siding. Some of their first products were the E.C.C. Standard Type Dynamo and Motor for generators and motor cars, the Multipolar Generator (one of which was supplied to the Manchester Corporation, and was at the time, the largest direct current machine in the world), direct current transformers and rotary converters, electric railway plant, various alternators and transformers, arc lamps and meters and other electrical components for motor cars.
1890 Mercury-arc rectifier to power an electric motor by converting AC to DC. Also a DC electric motor. (Exhibit at Birmingham Thinktank museum)
1890 Works for production of phosphorus constructed at Wednesfield.
1891 For description of works see 1891 The Practical Engineer
1893 South Stafford Tramway opened; the only one in the country using single pole overhead electrification; directors of Electric Construction Corporation were present and celebrated the event at lunch with many toasts.
Sources of Information
- Post Office London Trades Directory, 1891
- The Times, 4 June 1889
- Electrical Engineer vol 5 1890
- E.C.C. history
- The Times, 2 June 1890
- Electrical Engineer vol 6 1890
- 1892 The Practical Engineer
- The Pall Mall Gazette November 9, 1892
- The Times, 2 January 1893
- The Times, 28 June 1893
- The Times, 6 July 1893
-  History of Electric Construction Corporation