Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,374 pages of information and 230,039 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The new firm was the last of four engineering concerns in the Leeds area to specialise in machinery production for the leather trade. Along with the Haley's, the main competition came locally from B. & D. Wright of Meanwood and Joseph Hall & Co., of Kirkstall.
1892 Their first advertisement was placed in the Leather Trades' Circular and Review in February of this year. Their products were listed as splitting machines, knife grinders, glassing and belt machines, tumblers, engines, boilers and drive shaft accessories.
1892 October. The "Victory Patent" glassing machine was being introduced.
During the 1890s the firm introduced bark grinders, scouring machines, band knife splitters, and rolling machines into their machinery range and all under the "Victory" trade name.
Whitley continued to trade on his own behalf for a few years as John Whitley and Co from the Victoria Foundry and Farrar acquired a new associate.
Early in 1899, with his new partner, Smithson Young, William Farrar formed Farrar & Young and after taking temporary premises in Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, they moved to their new purpose-built factory in Elder Road, Bramley in May 1900.