First Bridge, Cullompton
Duke Street, Cullompton, Devon.
'First Bridge' is the official name of the bridge, not a claim to priority!
The bridge is of plain and simple design for economical construction, and continues to carry traffic on a minor road.
There are just three arch ribs, each assembled from two castings. The arches spring from, and rest on sloping and stepped stone blocks.
The bridge is Grade II listed. Details here.
It is one of five known survivors of iron/masonry bridges designed by James Green. The others being two aqueducts at Nynehead, the iron ribs and deck plates of a former road bridge, reassembled and preserved at Nynehead, and Trefusis Farm canal bridge. Information on the Trefusis bridge here.
1839: 'The Surveyor's Report was presented by Mr Green, and the Court was occupied for a very considerable time upon it. Suffice it, that the work of the erection an iron bridge at First Bridge, Cullompton, at an expense not exceeding £600. was ordered to be proceeded with. The work to be tendered for in the usual way.'
Sources of Information
- 'James Green - Canal Builder and County Surveyor' by Brian George, published by Devon Books in 1997
- Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, 13 April 1839