Forth Banks Power Station
1890 Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Co constructed Forth Banks Power Station in a disused factory in Newcastle city centre. This was the first power station in the world to generate electricity commercially using steam-turbine driven generators (from C. A. Parsons and Co). Initially two 75 kilowatt turbo alternators were installed
By 1907 the station was operating three 500kW and six 150kW AC turbo generators, giving a total generating capacity of 2,400kW. That year, two 410 kW Parsons turbines were temporarily used at the station before being installed in Lemington Power Station.
1907 Station closed once the expansion of the nearby Close Power Station had been completed
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia