George John L. Brown
George John L. Brown ( -1942) of Edmiston, Brown and Co
1942 Obituary 
GEORGE JOHN L. BROWN was educated at Ayr Academy and obtained his practical training in Glasgow with Messrs. Dubs and Co. (later known as the North British Locomotive Co.).
After his apprenticeship he joined Messrs. Bruce Peebles and Co., Edinburgh, and while with them he was responsible for the erection of the electrical power plant of the Scottish Central Co. and the Fife Electric Power Co.'s works.
In 1911 he joined Messrs. Edmiston, Brown and Co. as partner, afterwards as Director, and continued with that firm until his death in July, 1941. Many important electrical contracts were carried out by the firm in various parts of the country.
When the war broke out in 1914 he joined the Scottish Horse as a trooper. His promotion was rapid and he went to France as lieutenant. Later he was invalided home and obtained a staff post in the Trench Warfare Department. His engineering knowledge was quickly recognized and he was raised to captain's rank.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1909 and became a full Member in 1926.