Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,992 pages of information and 232,844 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
George Parsons was a tenant farmer and also ran a flax mill and engineering works in West Lambrook, Somerset. After the mill burnt down in 1854 he built the impressive Parrett Works on the River Parrett near Martock. Much of the works survives in multiple occupation. Inside there are two waterwheels, one of which is just visible through dirty windows. One wheel, marked 'George Parsons West Lambrook 1854', is 16 ft diameter and 9 ft wide. The other is 12 ft by 9 ft.
1862 The mill supplied 'Coker Canvas' to the Royal Navy.
1865 The West of England Engineering and Coker Canvas Co was established.
1869 The firm was liquidated. The textile business was taken on by George Hedgecombe Smith for making rope and similar products. The impressively long covered rope walk still exists, but is not accessible to the public.
All the above information is from 'Somerset in the Age of Steam'.
For 1869 auction sale details, see West of England Engineering Co.