Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,343 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Difference between revisions of "Glenfyne Distillery"

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 9: Line 9:
 
1919 The Glenfyne Distillery Company Limited was incorporated as a private company with capital of £10,000.<ref>The Scotsman 10 May 1919</ref> The company was a subsidiary of [[Robertson and Baxter]].
 
1919 The Glenfyne Distillery Company Limited was incorporated as a private company with capital of £10,000.<ref>The Scotsman 10 May 1919</ref> The company was a subsidiary of [[Robertson and Baxter]].
  
1937 The distillery ceased production though its warehouses remained in us for some years thereafter. The company itself was not dissolved until 2014.<ref>https://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/SC010378</ref>
+
1937 The distillery ceased production though its warehouses remained in use for some years thereafter. The company itself was not dissolved until 2014.<ref>https://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/SC010378</ref>
  
  

Revision as of 15:38, 16 October 2021

Ardrishaig

1831 Established in 1831 beside the Crinan Canal, Glenfyne was known alternatively as Glendarroch during its existence. However, Pigot's Directory of 1837 suggests the business of Henry Hoey and Co operated the distillery initially under the name of Glengilp.

1861 The name Glengilp was still being used, now by William Hay and Co. This remained the case in 1878, under William Smyth and Co. The distillery had become Glendarroch by the time of Alfred Barnard's visit, by which point the proprietor was William Gillies and the annual output was 80,000 gallons of malt whisky.

1903 The distillery was by now known as Glen Fyne and owned by William Foulds and Co.

1919 The Glenfyne Distillery Company Limited was incorporated as a private company with capital of £10,000.[1] The company was a subsidiary of Robertson and Baxter.

1937 The distillery ceased production though its warehouses remained in use for some years thereafter. The company itself was not dissolved until 2014.[2]


See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information

  • Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of the whole of Scotland and of The Isle of Man 1837
  • Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1861
  • Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1878
  • Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1886
  • Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1903
  • Alfred Barnard "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" (1887)
  • Brian Townsend "Scotch Missed: The Original Guide to the Lost Distilleries of Scotland" (Fourth Edition 2015)