1831 Established in 1831, Glenfyne was known alternatively as Glendarroch during its existence. However, Pigot's Directory of 1837 suggests the business of Henry Hoey and Co operated the distillery initially under the name of Glengilp.
1861 The name Glengilp was still being used, now by William Hay and Co. This remained the case in 1878, under William Smyth and Co. The distillery had become Glendarroch by the time of Alfred Barnard's visit, by which point the proprietor was William Gillies and the annual output was 80,000 gallons of malt whisky.
1903 The distillery was by now known as Glen Fyne and owned by William Foulds and Co.
Sources of Information
- Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory of the whole of Scotland and of The Isle of Man 1837
- Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1861
- Slater's (late Pigot and Co's) Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1878
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory and Topography of Scotland 1886
- Slater's Royal National Commercial Directory of Scotland 1903
- Alfred Barnard "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" (1887)
- Brian Townsend "Scotch Missed: The Original Guide to the Lost Distilleries of Scotland" (Fourth Edition 2015)