Goodwin Barsby and Co
of St. Margaret's Ironworks, Leicester, maker of stone crushing machinery
1875 Company founded by Robert Pochin, and (presumably) Samuel Bailey Goodwin and others
1895 Dissolution of the Partnership of Samuel Bailey Goodwin and Robert Pochin carrying on business as Iron and Brass Founders Engineers and Machinists at Star Foundry Church-gate, St. Margarets Foundry, Watling-street and Luke-street, Leicester under the style or firm of Goodwin Barsby and Co. All debts due were to be paid by Robert Pochin by whom the business would be continued on his own account under the previous name and style.
1906 Death of Robert Pochin
1919 Private company.
1961 Manufacturers of road, quarry, gravel and contractors plant, stone crushing and screening plant, asphalt and tarmacadam mixing plant, general ironfoundry and engineering work. 311 employees.
1966 Queens Award for Export Achievement
1970 Queens Award for Export
1973 Queens Award for Export
1982 Management buy-out
1989 the company was purchased by Boliden-Allis
Acquired by Svedala-Arbra
2004 Company acquired by CMS Cepcor, Europe’s largest aftermarket supplier of crusher, screen and asphalt plant spares and service.
Thousands of Goodwin Barsby™ machines are still operating worldwide.
Sources of Information
- London Gazette, 8 March 1895
- The Times, Jan 18, 1955
- The Times Feb 03, 1960
- Mining Year Book 1960. Published by Walter E. Skinner. Advert p57