Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Gospel Oak Iron and Galvanized Iron and Wire Co

From Graces Guide

Revision as of 10:09, 15 February 2021 by JohnD (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

of the Gospel Oak Iron Works, Tipton, Mitre Works, Wolverhampton, and Regent's Canal, Limehouse, London.

See also Walter Robinson and Co (Tipton).

1873 Advert: 'THE GOSPEL OAK IRON AND GALVANIZED IRON & WIRE COMPANY Works : Gospel Oak Iron Works. Tipton, Staffordshire; Mitre Galvanizing and Manufacturing Works, Wolverhampton ; Canal Bridge Roofing and Tank Works, Limehouse, London; E, Warehouse: 56 Upper Thames Street, London, E.O, Export Office: 74 King William Street, London, E.C.'[1]

1885 Advert: 'THE GOSPEL OAK Iron & Galvanized Iron & Wire Company.
FIRST PRIZE MEDAL, SYDNEY EXHIBITION, 1879-80.
THE GOSPEL OAK IRON AND GALVANIZED IRON AND WIRE COMPANY. [Anchor and Eagle brand marks illustrated].
IRON MANUFACTURERS AND GALVANIZERS.
The GOSPEL OAK is the oldest manufacture of GALVANIZED IRON in England. The Original Galvanized Tinned Iron was first made at these works in the year 1842. This Iron obtained the Prize Medal for "EXCELLENT QUALITY" at the Great Exhibition of 1862, it being the ONLY PRIZE MEDAL awarded is the trade.
The Price is now reduced.
GOSPEL OAK IRON WORKS. TIPTON.
MITRE WORKS, WOLVERHAMPTON,
REGENT'S CANAL, LIMEHOUSE, LONDON.
Warehouse:- 56 Upper Thames Street, London,
Export Office:- 110 Cannon Street, London.'[2]


The Limehouse works was located on a triangular plot of land bounded on the west by the Regent's Canal, on the east by the Limehouse Curve of the G.E.R., which continued south to join the London & Blackwall Railway. The southern portion was bounded by a row of 8 or 9 terraced houses on Commercial Road, with a small portion of the works extending to Commercial Road.
Note: On the opposite side of the canal was Brunton's Wharf and the 'Patent Galvanized Iron Works'.
c.1900 O.S. map here.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Lloyd's List - Saturday 21 June 1873
  2. Colonies and India - Thursday 24 December 1885