Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Masterton (1843-1898)
1899 Obituary 
HENRY MASTERTON, born on the 12th March, 1843, obtained his engineering training under the late Alexander Black, of Falkirk, to whom he was articled in 1857. He subsequently remained with that gentleman as an assistant, employed on work in connection with the Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway, the Grangemouth Railway and Docks, and the Falkirk Waterworks.
In 1865 he came to Westminster, and entered the office of W. R. Galbraith. From 1866 to 1871 he was engaged as an assistant surveyor, under Glasier and Son, on a large building estate at Hackney, preparing plans, superintending the construction of sewerage works, and laying out land for building purposes.
In 1873 Mr. Masterton re-entered the service of Messrs. Galbraith and Church, by whom he was employed in the design of bridges and on various railway work.
From September, 1881, to March, 1885, he acted as Resident Engineer, under Mr. Galbraith, on the Surbiton and Guildford and the Leatherhead branches of the London and South Western Railway, and in 1886 he was similarly occupied on the North Cornwall Railway, under Messrs. Galbraith and Church.
On the completion of that work he became Resident Engineer on the construction of the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway from Tavistock to Devonport.
In 1890 Mr. Masterton was appointed by the Devon County Council Surveyor for the northern division of that county. In 1897 it was determined to divide the county into only two districts, and Mr. Masterton was appointed one of the .two surveyors. Being permitted to undertake work on his own account, he carried out the laying of the water-main across the Tamar to Saltash, the widening of the Taw Vale Parade, and the laying of the impounding sewer at Barnstaple ; and he conducted, for the Town Council of the latter place, the negotiations in connection with the construction of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway. He also acted as Engineer to the Sutton Harbour Improvement Company at Plymouth. Mr. Masterton died at his residence, Boutport Street, Barnstaple, on the 18th September, 1898, from the effects of a chill.
He was an able engineer, and was held in great respect by all who came in contact with him. He was elected an Associate Member on the 2nd February, 1886.