Hirst Brothers and Co
of Oldham; also at London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow
1884 Alfred Hirst established the company in Union Street, Oldham
1894 Moved to larger premises in Curzon Street, Oldham
1904 Acquired a company in Withy Grove, Manchester
1907 Acquired a company in Great Hampton Street in Birmingham.
1912 Introduction of the Limit trademark on their range of watches
1919 Construction of the 5 storey, 7 acre, Tame Side clock factory in Saddleworth, near Oldham. The factory was of reinforced concrete construction, with wall-to-ceiling glazing. It was eventually served by a private halt for the workers, most of whom travelled from the Oldham area. The halt, known as 'Measurements Halt', was constructed by the LMSR in 1932.
1922 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of "Tameside" Clocks (Domestic and Commercial), Ships' Levers and alarms. (Stand No. E.23) 
1920s Employing more than 500 persons
1926 Bankrupt. Failure of the Tameside factory. Company re-structured and started to trade again. The Tameside factory taken over by Measurement Ltd.
1963 Company acquired by Time Products (UK)
2003 Move to a purpose built Time Products Volume Division HQ near Leicester
For more information about Hirst Bros & Co, see Limit Watches website.
Sources of Information
- Scenes from the Past: 49: Delph to Oldham, by L. Goddard & J. Wells, Foxline (Publications) Ltd.
- 1922 British Industries Fair p38